Great snippet from Martha Bush: “An interesting Wes connection and coincidence. I rowed at Wes for a year with Kathy Keeler ’78, who, of course, went on to win Gold at the 1984 Olympics. We each had a single daughter in our late 30s. Those two young women (my daughter, Lauren Tracey, and her daughter, Abigail Parker) are killing it rowing together in the first boat for Harvard! Sadly not for Wes, but a small world, nonetheless.”

Philip A. O’ConnellJr. has published a novella entitled The Sound of Silk. A work of historical fiction, it is set in the vice-ridden alleys of old San Francisco and the silver mines of the Sierras. It deals with the decline and fall of William Ralston, the man who built San Francisco. It is available on Amazon. Phil is a partner in the Boston office of the international law firm Dentons US LLP.

Jim Friedlich and Stuart Ellman ’88 were co-investors in Business Insider, a business information company sold recently to Axel Springer, the German media concern. Friedlich, a former Wall Street Journal executive, was a seed investor in the company at the time of its founding. Ellman, a partner at RRE, a NY-based venture capital firm, served on its board of directors.

Meg and Michael Gold write: “Shortly after the alumni magazine came with Sean and Banning on the cover (congrats to you both! Meg and I are longterm Afropop fans!) it was time for the annual Globalquerque Festival. What an unforgettable, amazing experience we had Saturday night. We got to see/hear: kassemadydiabatemusic.com. This group from Mali had three men accompanying the singer—one on a weird, gourd-harp thing, one on a sort of boxy guitar, and one on a sort of xylophone. Very trance like, hypnotic. According to the brochure, ’Kulanjan, his 1999 album with blues artist Taj Mahal, was famously cited by Barack Obama as one of his favorite albums of all time.’ facebook.com/OrlandoJuliusOfficial from Nigeria was my favorite—a sort of jazz, R&B, reggae mix called “high-life.” The groove was so intense it made me believe I was a good dancer. cimarroncolombia.com from Columbia had two intense guitarists, bass, two percussionists (maracas, hand-drum box thing) a guy on an electric harp (!!) and a flamenco singer/dancer. Unbelievably good guitar solos and a maraca/foot stomp competition thing. makinaloca.com from Congo had a jazzy, salsa, Cuban sound that was also impossible not to dance to. Everyone is invited for next year. Regards from Albuquerque, Michael & Meg Gold.”

Craig McLaughlin performs regularly at storytelling venues around the country. He can be seen most often in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he lives, but he has recently performed in Los Angeles, Boston, Albuquerque, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, and Seattle. Passing on Curves: While Death Rides Shotgun, a memoir released in May, is built from the stories he tells on stage. He has just begun working on the third edition off his textbook, Health Policy Analysis: An Interdisciplinary Approach. For more, visit cdmclaughlin.com.

Jono Cobb writes: “My wife Suzzanne, daughter Jordan, and I had a great time in October at the Hamilton fundraiser, where Wesleyan raised nearly $1.5M for the scholarship fund. I’ve finished my three-year tenure on the President’s Advisory Council and will miss crossing paths at those meetings with Laura Walker and Lincoln Frank. Have a great fall and winter!”

Laura Tully writes: “After 27 years in the Boston area, I am moving with my husband, Rob Schneider, to Alameda in the Bay Area. The end of my team performance coach role at Philips provided the opportunity to leave the fierce Boston winters and join my brother, Andy Tully ’83, and his wife, Beth Mooney, in the San Francisco area. Our son, Simon Schneider, just moved into a triple-decker in Boston where he’s working for the social media marketing firm, Cortex. We’re looking forward to connecting with other Wes folks out West.“

John Papa shared: “After a two-year hiatus, the Sky View Concert Series fundraiser returned to my house on the hill in Avon, Conn., and playing off the hillside was The Marshall Tucker Band. Very cool to have them in the backyard. My wife, Sara, and I raised $20,000 for a local disability charity—Favarh. In attendance was the co-host John MajewskiNeil Fitzgerald, Kevin Bristow, the elusive Pat Kiley, the invisible Tom Dwyer (he actually didn’t sneak away), Billy Schmitt, and Bob Burnett. From other classes were Don Dandelske ’78, Jim Carey ’77, John Gaebe ’77, Paul, “the Beav” Malnati ’77, and of course Vinny “no hitter” Colelli ’76. It was a very special day that went into the late night. The band was extremely engaging with the crowd, and some of us were able to participate with some songs such as Can’t You SeeHeard it in a Love Song, and Fire on the Mountain. Having Wes friends there makes these events all the more special. Gearing up for the next concert even though the band level continues to increase.”

Gary Breitbord | gbreitbo@aol.com 

Ann Biester Deane | abdeane@gmail.com