The Class of ’38 got a little bit smaller last week.

I always appreciate when I am given more time to get the news from those incredible graduates from ’38. I don’t like sharing sad news but, alas, that what I must do. Last Thursday, Oct. 22, Leonard Weinstein passed away. I spoke with Suzanne, his wife of 64 years, who told me he died of renal failure. I was very surprised, because Len seemed to be in good health the last time we spoke in the summer. I have sent a copy of his obit to the editors. You may remember that I didn’t always connect with Leonard in time for an issue’s deadline. But more often than not, I’d come home to an answering machine with his news on it. And of course that would prompt another phone call, and eventually we’d have something for the next deadline. Len spent most of his life in Conn., not far from a fellow classmate, Ed See. I remember how much Len enjoyed his tennis games. I was also amazed at how long he worked as a personal financial adviser. He used to split his time between Conn. and Fla. but the last few years or so were spent solely on Longboat Key. When we spoke this past summer, he reflected on how lucky he felt to still be living in his own home at 98 years old. I am glad to know he was able to stay in such a peaceful-sounding spot. Our thoughts go out to Suzanne and his family. We wish you much strength during such a difficult time.

On a completely different note, family is coming to visit two of the fellows these next few weeks, all around the celebration of birthdays. Curt Smith turns 98 this Oct. 28th. Daughters Maggie and Suzanne will be visiting from the West Coast. His son, Phil, is already out in Providence, so he’ll be there as well. Curt is on a positive path to health. The minor stroke we mentioned in the last issue still presents its challenges but overall he is feeling much stronger. When we spoke, the Pope had just returned to Italy after his visit to the States. We reflected on the Pope’s visit to the White House and what may come of that. We also spoke about the massive migration in Eastern Europe coming from Syria and Iraq. Curt always keeps me thinking about the big picture. I appreciate his perspective on the world and how we can help to make it a better place. I try to remind him how he needs to get that singing group going, and how that will make the world a better place, too.

The other birthday belongs to Bob Porter, who on Nov. 7th will turn 100 years old. I wonder how many other Wesleyan grads have become centenarians? Family will be coming from various locales to Naples, Fla., to celebrate this wonderful event. Not to be forgotten, his wife, Doris, will be celebrating her 98th birthday Oct. 27th. So there should be quite the joy happening at the Porter home. Even though it’s been almost 80 years since Bob was at Wesleyan, he was asking about a German exchange student who had joined them for a year. He told me a little about him and wondered what happened to him. So if anyone reading this has any thoughts on this, please pass them along. We did manage to slip a little politics into our conversation: Bob mentioned that Bernie Sanders seemed like a remarkable character. “If he could get anything accomplished, it would be amazing.” But amazing in a good way is what I heard, not cynical at all. Well, Bob, you’ll just have to stick around to find out.

My last phone call was to Art Kingsbury, also in Florida. No birthdays here until April, but Art did say they’d had a reunion of sorts recently. Sons and daughters-in-law, grandchildren, and great -grandchildren all gathered in Venice, Fla. He said that hadn’t happened since his 90th birthday probably. It was a wonderful get-together. Art was happy to report a sprained leg was finally on the mend. It took him out of commission for about six weeks. There was some concern it might be a deep clot, but thankfully it was just a deep sprain. He’s been back on it for the past six weeks, back to his daily walks. We weren’t able to chat too long, due to company coming over. He said he was glad to be back on his feet and wishes everyone the very best. He also added that Diane is well and that she still enjoy growing the butterflies!

So some sad news and good news, but I guess it is to be expected as we head towards the 80th anniversary of the fellow’s sophomore year. My garden bloomed the largest pink dahlia I’ve ever grown and I am convinced it was Bill Heisler’s way of saying hello to the universe.

Let’s hope the winter keeps everyone healthy and strong and I hope we aren’t going too crazy from the political ads that I am sure are only going to ramp up in the months ahead.

GRACE BENNETT
daughter of the late Walter Bennett ’38
8104 39th Avenue, S.W., Seattle, WA 98136