Aloha, all. The alumni office just informed me that William Steinhurst died last July. He worked for the State of Vermont for more than 30 years, most notably as director of regulated utility planning from 1986–2003, then worked in the private sector. He was active in the arts and as a volunteer. See more here.

Right after Reunion, Mark Fuller sent in a note that John Haury had died on May 16. And Nathan Heilweil reported Pete Panciera ’71 also died. Condolences to the families.

This issue is primarily Reunion news. There were, as always, a lot of activities. In my opinion, there are too many to allow enough time for classmates to schmooze. (Also, it’s hard to visit when we’re all sitting at tables. Whine, whine). ’65 did their Reunion right, with high attendance and lots of class activities, beginning on Thursday, a good model for our 2020 reunion. (I’m suggesting “I Can See Clearly Now” as our theme.)

I apologize if I missed anyone, but some don’t register and some don’t show up at class events. I know I didn’t see everyone. For example, I now know that Gordon Fain was there at least on Friday night, as he sent me a report about Phil Dundas.

On Friday, first I ran into Maurice Hakim and later David Geller and Miles Siegel, who continued the tradition of political discussion. In the evening, I attended a president’s reception for recipients of service awards, but unfortunately, there was no president and there were no announcements. I learned, however, that Alan Dachs, who I saw there, received the Baldwin Medal, the highest honor the Alumni Association awards.

ongratulations! As is the case with several classmates, Alan appeared briefly here and there during the Reunion. (It’s this tendency, too, that makes it particularly hard to keep track of all the classmates and to chat will them all.)

Jim Elston provided wine (and cheese!) again for the Friday night reception. Thanks! Note for next time: More activities of this type, or more hours of this one, please. This is a great opportunity to talk with no other agenda.

Saturday was mostly seminars and picnics, which is to say folks scattered all over the place. Diana Diamond, who attended with hubby John Alschuler, coordinated a WeSeminar about co-education, with a panel that included Elliot Daum, who, along with four-year roommate Harvey Yazijian, were the first men at Conn. College, in the spring of 1969. Among those there was Alan Wallace, still the champion of retained hair.

The big class activity on Saturday was the dinner. John Alschuler was M.C. Seth Kaufman presented the financial report with his usual droll humor, having also provided three choices of t-shirts for us, and having continued, as always, to ask us to give money to Wes. He made a pitch for need-blind scholarships (the policy has changed) and tying our contributions to the old policy. A discussion ensued. Contact Seth for more on this.
I saw Josh Barrett and Brian Silvestro briefly, but didn’t get to chat. John Griffin, Darryl HazelBob Murphy and Chip Conley were on the registration list but I didn’t see them. I saw Steve Ingraham, and Davey Jones just briefly. Both are still busy helping others. Lawrence Madlock shared a story of dealing with his draft board, who insisted he couldn’t be Quaker. The stories never end on this topic. Jeremy Serwer seems to be enjoying a scaled-down lifestyle. Marshall Webb continues in the dairy business in Vermont, which seems to suit him very well.

David White, still busy in the arts world, showed his continued political commitment in a discussion of need-blind scholarships at the class dinner on Saturday night, as did Chuck BoskRandy Miller is still busy as mayor of Beverly City, N.J. Chatted with Eddie Walker (aka Sachin Hazen), pyscho- and hypnotherapist, just relocating from several years on Maui. Also at the class dinner was Tony Balis, still operating The Humanity Initiative.
Jacob Scherr, now a “Senior Adviser” with the NRDC International Program, predictably seen at a WESeminar on climate change, is still quite busy. Phil Dundas has been oil and gas lawyering in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) for most of the time since graduation. He’s now consulting.

In non-Reunion news, Rob Baker recently visited Kaua’i, where he has a second home. He lives in Park City, Utah, with Sandra, his spouse of 38 years. He’s had an interesting career, combining law practice with IT issues, eventually as CLO of a healthcare IT company. Judging from our discussions while we were Jeeping, Rob’s keeping up with issues that concern lots of us. Meanwhile, he’s dedicated to staying in shape while keeping his hand in his healthcare IT investing and consulting.

Heard from Robby Laitos in March. He, Guy Prevost, and Mark Fuller skied Snowmass (Colo.), reporting, “Had a great time and the three of us actually made it safely down Upper Snowmass’ ‘Cirque Headwall,’ a rather heart-in-your-throat ski run. (Mark and Guy actually skied the Headwall; I kind of slid down it.) The three of us reminisced about Wesleyan West in Aspen in the early ’70s, when many of us (Guy, Mark, Miles SiegelArden ReedKaty Butler ’71, etc.) headed out there after graduation.” Robby reports that Guy is still script writing in L.A., and that Mark will retire soon after 19 years as “executive director of the Independence Pass Foundation (one of the Western U.S.’s most innovative and respected environmental organizations).”

Jerry Cerasale reports, “I’m living on Cape Cod doing the best job I’ve ever had, retirement. I even loved this past winter. When you don’t have to get out to go to the office, the snow is beautiful. In fact, the frozen Cape Cod Bay was amazing, particularly at sunset. At 66, I was dumb enough to run for office. The nice thing is that I was unopposed. So I now have a certificate of election as a member of the Eastham, Mass., Housing Authority.”

Had a newsy report from Bart Wendell. He, too, lives in Mass., but somewhat near Amherst. Says he’s expecting Eric Strobel to visit and had been hoping for a reunion of roommates George Glassanos and Lew McCreary ’71, as well. Bart advises CEOs, founders, boards, and high schools. He’s replaced running with road cycling. More online.
I reported a few issues back that John Yurechko enjoys Civil War reenactments. He’s now taken his interest in military history to another level. Seems he was traveling in Europe when he came across the filming of a documentary and reports that “I was captured by both the Romans (Legio II) and the Carthaginians.” Hope he posted the photos.