Well, I do believe I’ve had a first happen during my time as secretary for the Class of ’38. Seattle has had higher temperatures and less rainfall this June and early July than all of the places where I check in.

Okay, so I really only call Rhode Island and the western coast of Florida, but still, this is an amazingly dry summer we’ve got going on in Seattle. When I was looking over the last issue’s notes and saw how there was still snow on the ground when I spoke with Curtis Smith back in late March, I actually felt a little cooler. But these are actually the notes for the Class of ’38, not Seattle’s weather, so let’s get to them.

I am buying a lottery ticket because Len Weinstein and I actually spoke this time. I am delighted to report all is well with him and Suzanne. They are feeling very lucky. They are still living in their own home in Longboat Key, Fla., and he hopes it stays that way. “It’s a beautiful place on the edge of a golf course, overlooking a pond.” Who would want to leave that? Len enjoys playing bridge several times a week. Though a cane or a wheelchair may be needed, he still gets out daily to enjoy life.

Heading south just a bit, you’ll find Venice on the coast and that’s where you’ll find Art Kingsbury and wife, Diane. Normally Art is full of news but unfortunately Art’s hearing aids were on the blink the day I called. He sounds very well but our conversation was compromised. I did try later in the week and spoke with Diane, but the hearing issue wasn’t resolved. Besides the obvious frustration that comes with the loss of one’s hearing, all else was fine. Another great-grandchild will be joining the family this year. And as one can expect, that always brings much joy into their world.

Bob Porter and wife, Doris, are doing well. It’s a smaller world they are living in these days, but recent visits from their daughters brightened their June. “Nothing very exciting to report, I’m afraid, but fresh air is still on the menu.” So while he may not be putting around a golf course, getting out to watch the other residents is still an option he enjoys. We spoke about the exciting Women’s World Cup soccer games, as that was going on when I called. Bob was saying how differently soccer is played now from when he played for Wesleyan back in the day. “The ball control is amazing. The speed, the team work with the passing, it’s all fascinating.” Something I’d like to add that I think is fascinating is that Bob Porter is looking forward to celebrating his 100th birthday this November. I can’t wait to hear the details about that party!

After my Florida conversations, I called my sole fellow from ’38 who still lives up north. Curt Smith, you may remember, was rehabbing from a minor stroke. When we spoke this time, Curt said his recovery has steadily been improving, gaining strength and feeling better as the days go on. He is adjusting to his new place of residence, though he does admit the staff seems to fuss over him a bit more than he’s used to, but he’s working out a strategy for that. I await to hear if it works. While he may not want all the extra visits from the nurses, he thoroughly enjoys his visits from his children. Both daughters have visited from the Northwest this past spring. His daughter Maggie was going to be coming again soon in mid July. His son Phil swings by every week. Curt is still singing but currently it’s only in church. Perhaps when we speak next, he will have news about a choral group that he may start up at his residence. We both acknowledged what an amazing day it was when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality. We often talk politics and current events but I know these notes aren’t often the place for those issues. Every now and then a little sneaks its way in.

I miss my conversations around gardening at this time of the year, the ones I used to have with those from ’38 who have moved on. I hope they all are enjoying yummy peppers, incredible tomatoes, and beautiful dahlias.

It’s a wonderful image, isn’t it? And on that note, I close. Enjoy your summers and stay healthy. Check in with your families. Never forget that what you do now will be felt for generations to come. These notes remind us of that every issue.

GRACE BENNETT
daughter of the late Walter Bennett ’38
8104 39th Avenue, S.W., Seattle, WA 98136