Great to hear from you and glad you got in touch. Totally coincidentally, I went skiing last week in Aspen with two other Wesleyan '70 grads, and I'm attaching the photo here - I'm in the middle and Guy Prevost is on the left, and Mark Fuller on the right.  Great time.   All the best.   Robby Laitos.
Great to hear from you and glad you got in touch.
Totally coincidentally, I went skiing last week in Aspen with two other Wesleyan ’70 grads, and I’m attaching the photo here – I’m in the middle and Guy Prevost is on the left, and Mark Fuller on the right. Great time.
All the best.
Robby Laitos.

Aloha, all. We approach our 45th Reunion (May 21-24). See WesConnect for more. Meanwhile, here’s some news from some of your classmates.

We begin by offering our sympathies to Bruce Williams, who lost his mother just before Christmas. The surviving parents of our classmates are getting up there. I know some of us cringe a bit whenever the phone rings at late hours. Let’s wish the parents well.

Thanks to Jerry Schwartz, who, I believe, was last in New Britain. He continued to say he’s officially retired but still managing websites “here and there.” Also says, “I’ve been editing other people’s fiction, and have an item or two of my own almost ready to publish. I do audio and video editing, too. All of that is just for fun. In other words, it doesn’t bring in any money.” Jerry also wrote, “I’m in touch with Al Zimmermann, who lives in NYC. We get together a few times a year for dinner and theater. I also get to see Jerry Barton once a year, when he comes back from Austria for a visit. Jerry Barton is a wonderful photographer, and just had a 2015 photo calendar published.” There’s much more, but space limits prevail, so look on WesConnect.

And then, as if by magic, I also heard from Al Zimmermann: “Having failed Retirement 101 twice, I’m trying yet again. Mostly I’m now spending my time managing software development projects on a pro bono basis for theater-related nonprofit entities. It’s still work but, because I’m not getting paid, I can claim to have finally gotten at least part of this retirement thing right. My current project is the re-development of the Internet Off-Broadway Database (iobdb.org) for the Lucille Lortel Foundation.” Well, on behalf of those for whom retirement isn’t in sight, enjoy it for us!

Had an “out of office” e-mail from David Ouimette, who is practicing law. He’s in Phoenix. Still trying to get more details.

Prince Chambliss writes, “Although Lawrence Madlock (long time medical doctor), Thurman Northcross ’71 (continuing his work with business trends), and I all live here in Memphis and share many of the same circles of friends and activities, we don’t get together and share news about WesU nearly as much as we should. I just saw both of them within the past week.” Prince also wrote, “I spent some quality time with Harvey Yazijian in Boston a few months ago when I had occasion to be there for a law school class reunion. I know he and a few others plan to be present in Middletown for our 45th. I look forward to seeing you there.” I’m sure he means the plural “you,” so be there or be square. See more on WesConnect.

It’s been ages since we heard from Brian Silvestro, who practices law, coaches high school basketball, and resides in Southport, Conn. He has four sons “living in four different time zones. John is a captain in the USMC and stationed in San Diego as a C-130 pilot. Tyler is in Brooklyn and is a landscape architect. Jamie is in Chicago and is an architect, and Mike is in Colorado Springs where he works in the hotel business. Jane and I are first-time grandparents to Brooke and Ben born 7/4/14 in Colorado. Life goes on. No complaints. Very blessed.” Brian also mentioned that he “could not get any of my boys to go to Wes.” He’s actually a bit amused by it, except for the costs of college. Congratulations on the grandchild and all else.

Meanwhile, in France, Ward Rinehart is busy with his editing company (“WHO is our chief client, but we are also working for a number of other organizations that work in international health.”) but not too busy to take time out for eye surgery (which, in typical Ward style, led to some interesting versions of the Snellen eye chart) and not too serious to overlook a new story of Boris, the snow-loving cat, entitled Boris Takes a Hike. (Obviously aimed at a generation which doesn’t think of Natasha, Rocky, and Bullwinkle at the mention of Boris.) See jura-eds.com/boristakesahike.html. If you’re interested in the Snellen chart “riffs,” as Ward calls them, you could “Google” the phrase “Jura Snellen,” but that gets you an image of coffee makers or something. (Weird.) Try this link instead: every10miles.com/eye-chart-riffs/.

Not too far away, in Norway, Brad Matthews continues “consulting internationally on productive collaborative innovation and change readiness.” He plans to “spend more time in 2015 and beyond sculpting for fun and profit.” Brad says he’s “staying in close touch with Bill Davis ’71 and Eric Buergers.” He wishes everyone “good living ahead.” Well said. I asked Brad if learning Norwegian wasn’t quite challenging and he replied, “Norwegian is not simply challenging to learn. Add in hearing that’s not as good as it used to be, and memory challenged to remember the English vocabulary that was second nature to me previously, and you have a largely disabling mix.” As they don’t say in Norwegian, I assume, oy.

And speaking of Yiddish, fun-loving Mark Goodman is preparing to travel in Europe after converting a camper. He’s consulted Elliot Daum, who reportedly goes to Burning Man festivals in a motor home, and plans to enlist the help of Andy Leonard, who Mark describes as “pretty knowledgeable in vehicular matters.” Mark also has consulted with David Cantor in Brussels and others. As he puts it, “More meshuggene escapades!”

Sheila and Steve Ingraham visited Kaua’i in October, and Steve wrote this account: “My bride Sheila and I are still glowing from a fall trip to Kaua’i. After surviving the obligatory helicopter ride (doorless!), we met up with a colorful local: an Alaskan transplant, our very own agent Russ Josephson. Not content with merely being the hub in our Wesleyan wheel, he led us through bumpy back country, past flowery vines, singing birds, and waterfalls to his personal paradise: a verdant plot of red earth and palm trees where, one day, he and Vera will put on stilts the most ecofriendly place imaginable. It may even make Ben Stiller, his neighbor on a nearby hill, blush. Just don’t expect Russ to throw out a date for completion. As with Jefferson’s Monticello, projects of this magnitude take time. And anyway, as was drilled into us at Wes, it’s really about the journey, the process, and not the product. Right, Russ? He was a fine guide.” All I did was drive them the .8 mile up the iffy road to our housesite, I promise you.

Embarrassed by undue attention, I prodded and Steve added: “I could also write about the King Kong mountain emerging from the mists. Or about the sea turtles that bounced around in the Poi’pu surf just below our condo. Or about hiking along those spectacular bluffs and walking those gorgeous beaches . . . all of it so therapeutic. But maybe what I miss most are those ocean breezes that were always with us. They never disappoint.” A career in travel writing may await, Steve.

And finally, this from Maurice Hakim: “I am still very active professionally. In fact, I have two companies, Teacrest and Mr. Mo’s Beverages. The former manufactures ready-to-drink organic teas (T42), the latter, organic lemonades (Mr. Mo’s). Most of our business centers on private label. Customers are high-end grocery chains such as Earth Fare, Heinen’s, and Kings Supermarkets.

“My wife and I moved to Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, 11 years ago from Bedford, N.Y. We are now in Jupiter, alongside the beach. Those who attended may remember the birth of our daughter Alexandra just before our 20th Reunion. Wow, she is now 24 (!), lives in Manhattan and works at Bloomberg in the marketing department. She loves it.

“Since our 40th, I have kept close contact with Jim Elston and his lovely wife, Meckle. They now reside full time in S. Bristol, Maine. For the past two summers we have rented a cottage there and have enjoyed spending time with them. Dinner at their house is an extravaganza. Jim, as you know, has a very successful wine importing business. His house has fabulous cellar stocked with some of the best French wines, which he is never reluctant to share with his guests. Always professorial, Jim will guide you through his cellar and provide insight into every bottle.

“I miss being up North, especially during the spring and fall. We’re looking for a cottage along the Connecticut shore, specifically, Clinton or Stonington.”

Listening to music from our college years as I write. I propose “My Back Pages” (Byrds’ version, 1967) as a theme for our 45th Reunion.

Russ Josephson | russ_josephson@yahoo.com
P.O. Box 1151, Kilauea, HI 96754