The big news remains our upcoming 50th Reunion and hope everyone will make the effort to be there! Even for a day, it will be worth it, I’m sure. In the course of the Reunion planning and outreach we’ve received a lot of information on classmates, much of which will be in our Reunion book (to be distributed at Reunion) and in the addendum to be distributed later.

Here are a few tidbits:

Gar Hargens writes: “Great to read about the work going into our Reunion. Thank you all. I still have my head down, cranking out the work. Unfortunately, several large projects may be peaking in late May but I hope to join you. The two ($4 and $30 million) are both trying to meet LEED, Passive House, and Living Building Challenge standards. As Bill Blakemore and Jerry Melillo address global climate change, I’d be glad to comment on what’s happening (or not) at the local project level.” Gar is president/owner of Close Associates (architects) in Minneapolis.

From Peter Babin: “After graduating from Wesleyan, went to law school, and then briefly practiced law before time in the military. Then I migrated into the world of commercial property, casualty and health insurance. Positions held include: vice president, risk management, May Department Stores, St. Louis, and CEO for insurer sponsored health/HMO plans in Denver; Dayton, Shreveport, and Helena. Retired in 2005 as CEO of Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Montana. Married in 1972 to Barbara Ellen Makinen, have three daughters and four grandchildren (with a set of twins ‘in development’). Currently living about half of each year on the northwest coast of the Big Island of Hawaii, and the remainder on our small ranch south of Helena. Have kept my hand in business with property development activities in Washington, Oregon, Montana, and Hawaii. Unfortunately, I’m unsure if I can work around scheduling conflicts with the 50th Reunion, but best to all and thanks for the memories!”

Bill Brown writes: “Mr. Excitement never left town. I ride by Wesleyan every day. In our senior year—February 1965—I was hired by the state of Connecticut, to teach emotionally challenged children at Connecticut Valley Hospital. I stayed for 32 years and retired at 53, in 1997, the day before my first granddaughter was born. Had fun babysitting her and her little sister, for years…. I was disappointed to see that Dean Barlow left Wesleyan when we did. He was the most important faculty member for me. The Argus cover featured me receiving my diploma from him at graduation time—the shortest graduate at 5 feet, 3 inches, and the second youngest. They should have chosen the student behind me, handsome Donald Brown!”

Bruce Patterson writes briefly: “Still married (tolerant wife). Two kids. Son lives in Stamford, daughter lives in NYC, so our plans are to stay in Stamford for the time being. Semi-retired. One day a week at West Marine. Rest of the time self -employed as a marine surveyor (seasonal in New England). My hobby is sailing.”

Update for Carl Calendar: After receiving his doctorate, Carl became a teacher and has been dean of humanities at Brookdale Community College on the Jersey Shore where he has worked for 44 years. Carl says: “Teaching the students in a community college has always been my passion—I love the diversity.”

He and his wife, Jody, have two sons, Bart, 46, in Montpellier, France, a journalist; and Shane, 29, an attorney in New Jersey. They live in a 200-year-old farmhouse in Moultonborough, N.H., where they spend summers and a few winter weekends. Jody is the editor of the Asbury Park Press.

In the 1990s, Carl worked for the State Department in Singapore, Malaysia, and Borneo, doing training for journalists. In 2005, he walked 204 miles on the Camino de Santiago on a pilgrimage to the grave of St. James.

Carl’s best Wesleyan Memories: “touch football and volleyball before dinner, party weekends, sensational teachers, and wonderful students who taught me as much as the professors.”

Marsh Cusic writes: “I’m retired from medical practice and the Navy and spending more time with our family farm in Illinois. Wow, farming has really changed over the years. It’s sure not ‘Old MacDonald’s Farm’ anymore. The challenge is to operate a business with a heart for the land. I crossed paths with John Hall, Don Crampton, and other Class of ’65 members at the Chicago area WesU alumni event last fall. I’m still a big bike rider and will do the 460-mile RAGBRAI Iowa ride in July, the GRABWAAR 480-mile ride in Wisconsin in June and a 120-mile Illinois ride in September. Our three kids and five grandkids live in Wisconsin and Minnesota, so we keep busy trying to keep up with them. Georgeanne (Conn ’67) and I look forward to catching up with ’65 classmates in May.”

From John Wilson: “After 25-plus years at the University of Arizona, I retired in 2010. Now, my adventure-action novel is in draft, and I met an agent who said she wanted to see the first 50 pages. I love learning to write and am even beginning to understand sentences. Potential for further entertainment is infinite.

“Linda and I met 50 years ago on Halloween at The Sancho Panza in Monterey. Fifty years. Most of you were seniors, I was a Spec 4 at the Defense Language Institute, and the coffee shop later became a Thomas Kinkaid gallery. Our Sancho Panza gets a few inches starting paragraph eight at theava.com/archives/21180. Linda has been a movement educator for over 20 years, and I have the best posture and easiest movement I’ve had since I was five years old. That’s cool but a long story.

“Last year, Heidi and I took our first daughter-father trip of any length: a week in Nashville. We walked to music, history, and Nash Trash and drove less than 40 minutes to the Parthenon and the site of the Battle of Franklin, and we got on well as fellow travelers. I must have been a good person in a prior life to get this trip. Heidi is still a preferred and student-centered high school English teacher and teaches a film class.

“Life is good and often fun. Avoid the front page and/or TV news and treasure your friends and the things you like do.”

From Bob Schmidt: “In October, Susan and I hosted Betsy and Tom (The Aleman) Elliman, Joan and Fritz Faerber, Tim Lynch and his lovely Rose at our Cape Cod cottage in Chatham, Mass. Joining us were Chris and Paul Lapuc ’64, who live full time in Chatham. We had a rollicking good time! On Saturday afternoon, we went to a Bluegrass Festival at Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod Winery. We sampled in earnest the wines, which were quite good. A few weeks later at a planning meeting for our upcoming 50th and Joseph’s Robe presentation we were treated to Truro wines that Hal Gorman hauled out of his car trunk. Turns out that Hal is the attorney for Truro Vineyards and is on their board of directors. Hal has offered to supply more wine for our Reunion—and gratefully, I say, ‘Bring it on, Hal!’”

PHILIP L. ROCKWELL | prockwell@wesleyan.edu