We beat the Reunion attendance record for the third year in a row with 94 attendees! It was great to see all of your smiling faces looking as young and carefree as we did 35 years ago. Thanks also to Banning and Seanfor hosting the after-party.

Jim Friedlich wrote in that he, Eric Asimov,Ann Kaplan, Bill Plotch, and Mike Vorhaus enjoyed a wine-intensive meal together at Jean-Georges in May shortly before Reunion. Eric is the prolific wine columnist for The New York Times; Ann, an economist; Mike, the president of Magid Advisors, a global market research firm; and Bill is still thriving as a bond trader.

Jim led a WesSemimar at Reunion weekend on “The Future of Media and Entertainment,” which included classmate Laura Walker, CEO of WNYC. Jim was named chief executive officer of Empirical Media, a New York-based media advisory firm, in January. Jim, Strauss Zelnick, Andrew Vogel ’95, and President Michael Roth ’78 co-hosted a cocktail party for DigitalWes in midtown Manhattan in June, a gathering of more than 150 members of the Wesleyan community involved in digital media and venture-capital.

Karin Kiewra has spent the last few decades as a manager and editor in public relations, marketing, and development (fundraising) roles at Boston nonprofits, including Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Harvard. She has been living with her partner, John Bach, in Somerville, Mass., for several years, and gets to see a fair bit of her 25-year-old son, Jacob, who works for a rising craft brewery, Jack’s Abby, in not-too-distant Framingham. She’s now the senior campaign writer/editor at Northeastern University, where the students are, as Garrison Keillor might say, all good looking, far above average, and get amazing co-op jobs all over the world. She writes, “If I couldn’t go to Wesleyan all over again, I’d come here.”

Sean Barlow and Banning Eyre spent a month in Madagascar this spring, doing research for upcoming Afropop Worldwide broadcasts. Amazing place. Amazing music. They were pleased to share the sonic spoils with fellow ’79-ers at what’s become a traditional after-hours Reunion bash at Banning’s place in Middletown. You can follow Banning on afropop.org.

Craig McLaughlin relocated to Berkeley. The second edition of his textbook, Health Policy Analysis: An Interdisciplinary Approach, was released in July. The book is co-authored with his father, Curtis McLaughlin ’54. In August, he premiered a one-person show at The Marsh, one of San Francisco’s top venues for solo performance.

Ben Solnit and his wife, Audrey, had a great visit over the summer with John Hatleberg ’79 and Rise Dimson. The highlight was a visit to Long House Gardens, where Phillip Petit happened to be making final preparations for a bijou reenactment of his 1974 tightrope walk between the World Trade Center towers. John claimed their timing was serendipitous, but given his many connections in the far-flung art world, one never knows.

Their daughters are both launched into new full-time jobs: Rebecca (Dickinson ’12) as a middle-school math teacher for Teach for America in Philadelphia, and Anita (Tufts ’14) as a family service provider for South Bay Mental Health in Lynn, Mass.

Julie Hacker has had a busy year. Along with her architectural partner, Stuart Cohen, she has won awards including the 2014 Preservation Award from Lake Forest Preservation Foundation and the 2014 Watermark Award from Builder Magazine. Their work has appeared in Better Homes and Gardens Spring 2014 Special Edition and the following three books: The Kitchen Bible by Barbara Ballinger and Margaret Crane; Traditional Architecture: Timeless Building for the 21st Century by Alireza Sagharchi and Lucien Steil; and Houses for all Regions: CRAN Residential Collection. She adds, “I continue to race (triathlons) although gone are the days of the IronMan. As my age group gets smaller I place and sometimes win! I made it to Nationals this summer in Milwaukee and raced with the best. The women over 50 are beasts! Just too much work! My son Gabriel just finished his first year at RISD and loved it. He is majoring in film/video/animation in what is called ‘new media,’ which incorporates everything plus the kitchen sink, I believe. As an AIA fellow, I continue to be involved with the Chicago AIA chapter and our CRAN (Custom Residential Architects Network) division. Any other Wesleyan architect out there who will be attending any CRAN conferences, let me know.”

Ann Kaplan wrote, “The platform on which my happiness rests is solidly in place. First, work is a pleasure. CAE has been developing tests that measure student learning outcomes. Yes, it can be done. Bill Gates said of one of our instruments, the CLA+, “I think most people would agree that the skills like critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing—the skills the CLA+ does measure—are pretty important.” It’s exciting to work here. Second, my daughter, Ariel, is thriving. She now lives in my father’s old office, which I own. It’s a beautiful studio apartment, high above Greenwich Village. It has so many windows, which display panoramic views of New York, including the Empire State Building. She works near my office as an elite personal trainer and continues to excel as a pole dancer. I am always in awe of her beautiful spirit. Third, my scuba adventures are taking me to beautiful places. I went to Little Cayman and St. John this summer and am deciding between Papua New Guinea, the Maldives, and Palau for next summer. I have amassed enough miles to take another long trip. And, finally, good friends abound. It’s great to live in New York City, where so many roads cross. I hope to see some of you along the way on this wonderful journey.”

Alan Saly’s been working on organizing the participation of transit workers in New York City in the Peoples Climate March, set for Sept. 21. Mass transit is a big solution to the climate crisis!

Daniel Ostrow chimes in: “I’m still in Middletown, owner and chief instructor at the Tat Wong Kung Fu Academy, 25 years in downtown Middletown. I teach students of all ages, from 4 to 74, and love my life in the martial arts. Life is exciting, challenging, and satisfying. Many of the subjects I studied at Wesleyan have daily and direct relevance to Kung Fu, anything from Spanish and French to comparative religion. I wish I had studied Chinese! I have had the wonderful experience of teaching one generation of students, from 5 years old through black belt, and now they’re off to college! My wife, Sarah, has been with me every step of the way as teacher and Kung Fu mama.

Gary Breitbord | gbreitbo@aol.com 

Ann Biester Deane | Abdeane@gmail.com

Intern at the Wesleyan Office of Communications for Spring and Summer 2015. Currently working towards meeting the requirements for an Economics and Government dual major. A Wesleyan Posse Veteran.