A recent communication from Sandy McCurdy states: “I can report that Larry Wiberg is charging ahead in Denver, still doing medicine, still working at his Episcopal church, erecting fine memorials to his late and beloved wife, Katie, and visiting with me and Patsy in East Blue Hill, Maine, in the summers for a few days. I continue to breathe regularly and whack away as associate rector at St. David’s Church—the largest Episcopal parish in Pennsylvania and 10th nationally.”

Another “Sandy,” the wife of Pete Drayer, is included in a note from Pete: “Jon, I can report that my wife, Sandy, and I are celebrating our 50th anniversary. To add to my rather cryptic message, I continue to serve as a senior judge about 10 days a month.”

John Rogers and his wife, Carolyn, have moved from Greenwood, S.C., to an over-55 adult Del Webb community, Carolina Lakes. in Indian Land, S.C. He jokingly mentions that any classmates who understand early bed times and have limited memories of last week’s events are welcome.

Ed Knox and his wife, Huguette, continue to split their time between Middlebury and Paris, with an occasional visit to Tucson. They would be happy to catch up with classmates one place or another. Meanwhile, Ed continues to write about how Americans look at France, a topic that, he says, keeps on giving.

Bob Owens has been busy over the past few years. He writes: “My significant other and I went on a trip to Peru in October of 2013. Machu Picchu is amazing, as were several other places we went. I would never try to drive in any of the cities—chaos. I worked on trying to get people elected to the school board who would be more reasonable and accountable than the bunch that was in, but the Republican-backed slate won. Their attempt at instituting vouchers for mostly religious private schools will be reviewed by the Colorado Supreme Court in the coming months. Vouchers make no sense at all in this very wealthy county, which had an excellent school system until a few years ago. Good teachers and principals are leaving in alarming numbers. I continue volunteering for three hospice organizations, visiting elders with dementia, and working with grief groups for kids who have lost a loved one.”

Bob Patricelli says life is good! “Still working hard and enjoying it, plus four grandkids (including son Thomas ’88’s first just a few months ago). Still living on Folly Farm in Simsbury, Conn., but wife Maggie won the argument over buying a little winter getaway in San Jose, Calif. It’s a long commute but domestic harmony is restored.”

Glenn Hawkes revealed his interest in American education by highlighting the work of a fellow classmate: “Ed McClellan is another Wes-mate I’d love to have coffee with, as we’ve recently shared some thoughts via e-mail on progressive education, or the lack thereof, in America’s schools. While he was department chair of educational leadership at Indiana University, Ed had written a very fine historical survey, Moral Education in America (Columbia University, 1999). It ought to be required reading for anyone interested in how America has sought to shape the character of each new generation of citizens. My first born, T. Elijah Hawkes ’97, and I have done some writing together about failed education reforms—in the context of John Dewey’s progressive philosophy. (Miracles and Monstrosities: John Dewey the Fate of Progressive Education; Schools: Studies in Education, Spring 2013, U Chicago Press.)

“Late in ’13,” Glenn continues, “I had an opportunity to visit with Al Williams and meet his wife, Wendy, up from Maryland on some family business in the Boston area where I live. Al and I have corresponded a bit, but not seen one another for five decades. He’s in better shape than I—it must be from the mild winters down there in the DC area! I remain in touch with Bob Hausman, who keeps plenty busy swimming, playing basketball, and constructing snow castles with his grandson in the abundance of Minnesota snow and cold.

“Classmates, please know that my second home in Rwanda (where we stay from May to September) is open to anyone wanting to visit in that part of the world, where the Nile and the human species both have their origin, not to mention the mountain gorillas, and the amazing regeneration of a people who lost so many and so much in 1994. (e-mail me at wardbrook@yahoo.com; also see centersforsocialresponsibility.org.)”

Brad Beechen has retired again, this time from a five-year stint as an usher at Wrigley Field. “More time for golf and travel in the plan,” he explains, “Mary Jane and I will drive to Louisville in late May to visit Vicki and June Prince, and to renew an annual golf-trophy competition that began in 1989. We’re grateful every day for continuing good health; 75’s not so bad at all.”

Phil Rodd is still working at a second career as travel director for an international travel company. Last year he took tourists to see the sights in locations as far flung as San Diego to Bar Harbor, Maine. “Yellowstone is still my favorite spot to visit…I encourage all of you out there to see it at least once.”

Russell Robertson wrote: “Had a nice lunch with Ernie Marino about a month ago. Great discussion re: value of a Wesleyan education, our shared participation on the football team our senior year, and when we were roommates at Penn Dental School in 1962. Arthritis is limiting my trekking efforts and will end with a trip to Slovenia and Bhutan. Biking, strangely enough, does not bother my knees too much—hope to participate in the Mass. Challenge—Jimmy Fund event this August.” As a side note, Russ adds: “In the early 1980s I removed a large cancer of the parotid gland in a 10-year-old boy. The five-year survival for such a tumor is pretty grim. Today he is 45, has three kids, and is a successful IT person! I plan to be next to him at the Mass. Challenge in August.

To all classmates who have kindly submitted messages to your class secretary, please be patient, keep tuned, and your generous words will eventually be published. To all others, start tapping those computer keys!

Jon K. Magendanz, DDS | jon@magendanz.com

Intern at the Wesleyan Office of Communications for Spring and Summer 2015. Currently working towards meeting the requirements for an Economics and Government dual major. A Wesleyan Posse Veteran.