I have been working on our class 50th Reunion committee and would like to acknowledge those classmates who have spent months working on the Reunion with e-mails, conference calls, idea sessions, and many hours reflecting on how quickly the time has elapsed.

We have been led by three co-chairs, Frank Judson, Steve Oleskey, and Bill White. Frank has been awesome in leading our conference calls and you can see that as a physician in the field of infectious disease, he has learned to share his ideas and opinions particularly in being a leader in his medical community in Colorado dealing with the HIV epidemic. Success has been realized with HIV treatment and protocols, and I can see where Frank Judson has been a contributor.

Steve has complemented Frank’s leadership with his attention to detail and his attorney training to lend concise suggestions and keep the committee on course. Bill adds his organizing skill to our leaders and his commitment to seeing the Reunion achieve success serving classmates who find their way back to Wesleyan.

Others involved with the committee include Steve Baker, Clark Lambert, Edgie Russell, Bill Medd, Nick Puner, David Skaggs, and Don Ware. I was editor for the class book, which will be available at the Reunion, but I contacted Peter Sipples many months ago and he did most of the work putting things together. He lives in the Connecticut area and his availability has been invaluable in reviewing all the elements displayed in the publication.

Michael Palmer was a member of our crew but his untimely death was an unwelcome reminder of our vulnerability. I have communicated with Michael over the years and we were pointing to the 50th Reunion as a significant milestone. He will be sorely missed.

Fred Motz missed the opportunity to submit to the 50th Reunion book, because we had an incorrect e-mail address for him. He sent what he would have submitted—which we’ve excerpted below. (The full version is on the Class Notes web site: classnotes.blogs.wesleyan.edu). He also adds, “I was only at my Reunion for one night but I very much enjoyed walking around the campus and seeing my friends who were there.

“The past 50 years: I went directly from Wesleyan to the University of Virginia Law School from which I graduated in 1967. In 1968 I clerked for a judge on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. In September of that year Diana Gribbon (whom I met at UVA) and I were married, and she has put up with me ever since. We have two wonderful children and two grandchildren, who brighten our lives. After unsuccessfully trying to become a Marine, I joined a law firm in Baltimore, then became an Assistant United States Attorney, and later rejoined the same law firm. In 1981 I was appointed as the United States Attorney in Maryland, and in 1985 I was appointed as a United States District Judge by President Reagan. I have served as a District Judge since that time, and I have enjoyed every minute of the job. Longevity has provided the opportunity to be on several national committees and to try many interesting and complex cases…

“Memories of Wesleyan: Being a member of a talented and fun-loving team that put Wesleyan on the lacrosse map. Listening to Ray Charles in the Harriman Hall room I shared with Dick Colton and Gary Cook. Friendships—and attempting to develop the capacity to be alone. … Observing how old the members of the class of 1914 appeared when they led the reunion parade. Being grateful not so much for knowledge that was imparted to me but for being taught to try to ask good questions.”

TED MANOS, M.D. | ted_manos@yahoo.com