Let’s see, what can I write about for the next issue of Wesleyan. Oh, I know, how about “the Last of the Mohegans,” better known as the class of ’49. A group of us, namely Dick Gibbons, David Knapp, Chip Stone, Bob Wylie and I who, I firmly believe, are among the last few of the class of ’49 still alive, are attempting to induce remaining class members to come to Wesleyan for the 65th Reunion. Of the group I was required to contact, few were still alive, only one came to the phone, two responded through another party or his wife. None committed. I don’t blame them. We are all quite old and I for one, have a very “hairy” health history and, I am 89 years old—and some are older.

In spite of the difficulty involved, Audrey and I are heading up there from Florida to our old home state of Connecticut, where we will spend some time with a son who lives in Darien, Conn., and a son in Grafton, Vt. My wife had knee replacement surgery nearly four weeks ago and I informed her that she’d better be mobile before we go north. She threatened me with her cane.

I did receive a letter from a fellow Alpha Chi Ro member, Dan Collister ’50. Dan was one of the “gang” at the Downey House, where he worked beside my brother, “Hap.” He watched my brother’s and Janet Ablehauser”s love affair grow into a marriage. Sadly, both are deceased now. The couple that ran the Downey House, “Heidie” and Enid Heidemann, were a very special couple and often had many students visit their home. Dan lives in Gates Mills, Ohio, but also has a place in Kiawah Island, S.C.

William C. Brooks |williamcbrooks@comcast.net
9 Willow Pond Rd., Amelia Island, FL 32034