I’m glad to say that, as far as I know, we have had no new losses since my last report. I always thought that we were a sturdy bunch—keep up the good work!

Speaking of staying healthy and keeping active, I received a card from Muzz Molina describing his tour on the Crown Princess, visiting many interesting ports including Bermuda. Apparently the weather at Normandie was uncooperative.

I also received a “thank you” note from George Morrill ’42 in which he states, “Comes this pic of three eager old crocks plotting Wesleyan’s future. Ahh, they are canny old dogs. They know their ideas will elevate the college to new heights. Hey, it was great seeing you guys. Thanks for the framed photo. I look forward to linking with you next reunion.”

Gene Loveland sends a sad note: “Sorry about the stationery. Things are upside-down here right now and it’s all I could find. Joan passed away in February. It was a blessing and she went without pain and had a smile on her face. She was getting her wish to be with the Lord. I have such a large and wonderful family that things are going well, and I’m back in my routine of the monthly column in the house organ and running the putting tournaments.” Our thoughts and prayers are with Gene and his family at this time.

I received two messages from Jack Ritchie. One, a Christmas card in which he says: “My disappointment of 2013 was missing our 70th reunion in Middletown because of Lyme disease. Today I feel fine except for arthritis in my knee. My high school class back in Winnetka, Ill., now has just four survivors—three men and one woman.” The other message, in which he states: “Wife, Sue, was once the ‘scribe’ for her class at Mt. Holyoke with deadlines, so I feel sorry for your efforts to drag words out of your aging classmates. I could guess that your deadline was March 15—sorry. My only Wesleyan contact of late has been Jim Dresser ’63, a selectman here in town, and a dedicated community leader. I spend a lot of time reading. Right now I am on page 550 of The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I recommend it. Intriguing I thought was the frontispiece speaking of the condition of the country at that time, early 1900s: ‘The gap between rich and poor has never been wider—legislative stalemate paralyzes the country—corporations resist federal regulation—spectacular mergers produce giant companies—the influence of money in politics deepens’ and on. What goes around comes around. Maybe there is hope for this wayward and confused country. This year I promise I will really see you at the ritual of a Little Three football game, and new life in the prized institution.”

Frederick P. Appleton
100 O’Brien Court, Suffolk, VA 23434