Class of 1995 | 2014 | Issue 1

Joanna Greenwald is managing partner at Greenwald Law Offices in New York: “We are a general practice with a family law center building only dedicated to divorce and family law needs. It is the only one in New York. Also we can be seen at greenwaldlaw.com, where criminal, personal injury, commercial, and litigation are handled, covering all boroughs of New York and the Hudson Valley.”

Beth Shilepsky Price states: “Things are still going great for us outside of Charleston, S.C. I am a family medicine doctor in a rural area and our kids are now 9, 7, and 4. I recently spoke to Drea Beale, who is keeping busy with her husband and two young daughters in California. She is still teaching and recently ran a marathon. Kristin Dunn ’96 is also in California, living the dream with her husband and young daughter. She continues to do amazing work bookbinding (thank you for the recent book I bought from you!). On a trip to Boston this summer I had the chance to catch up with Camille Mendoza, who is living with her significant other, Paul, in Medford and still loving her job at the Museum of Fine Arts as a graphic designer.”

From the journal of Spencer Douglas: “I thought I’d reach out and let you know that I’ve been in L.A. for about five years now and was just promoted in June to manager, integrated marketing, at Warner Bros., working on feature film marketing. I get to work with filmmakers on all of our tentpole titles and with all different divisions of the company (DC, Home Video, Consumer Products, Videogames, Promotions, Online, etc.), helping them with their various programs. It’s interesting, to say the least!”

Adam French states:The big news over here is a second kiddo—Ty Carl French. Born on October 16th. The fun continues.

From Douglas Sabo: “I had a nice Wesleyan showing at my recent wedding to Christopher Nichols (Stanford) in Calistoga, Calif. My wedding party included David Smith ’92 and Josh Gilbert, who of course was joined by his wife, Carey Bartell. Also great to have Marcus Chung ’98 there as well. Meanwhile, Chris, Chloe (our 2-year-old) and I can’t wait to share more news in the near future. I’ve recently become vice president and head of global corporate philanthropy and responsibility at Visa Inc.”

Ethan de Seife here: “My wife, Laura, and I, after five years in Brooklyn, quit our jobs and headed north. We now live in Burlington, Vt., where it’s beautiful, quiet, and pleasant. We are contemplating buying little booties for our dog, Dutch, so he can romp in the snow without fweezing his widdle doggie feets. Laura is a speech-language pathologist at a local nursing home, and I’m now an arts writer for Seven Days, Burlington’s ‘alternative weekly’ newspaper.”

Jason Segal and Laura Boucai-Segal welcomed their first baby, Julia Daphne Segal, on Nov. 6, (7 lbs., 4 oz.). “She has a fondness for crying, guzzling milk and occasionally sleeping, and has already indicated her strong interest to be part of the Wesleyan class of ’34.”

Leigh Copperman Burchell reported a very busy 2013. She loves her job as VP of policy and government affairs for a large health information technology company, and she and her husband, Chris Burchell ’96, moved twice within Raleigh, N.C., to find just the right house in a great neighborhood close to downtown. They are raising their three children, ages 5, 8 and 11, and on top of all that, Leigh went through a breast cancer battle this year (that, thankfully, ended with an excellent prognosis) and is now in the rear-view mirror. She wanted to remind everyone to be diligent about preventive care, though—we’re not getting any younger, and it can happen to us!

Some news from DC: Marc Schleifer calls 2013 “an eventful year.” He says, “I got the official, six-years-of-clean-scans, all-clear, we’ll finally say the word ‘remission’ stamp of approval from my doctor early in the year. Then in April, my wife Amber and I wed in Brooklyn (there were some Wes folks in attendance). Then in September we were finally able to start living in the same city, bidding goodbye to our previous NYC-DC weekend commuting life, when she moved from the New York Federal Reserve to a position with the Fed Board of Governors down here. My own career took a fortunate turn, as I became regional director for Eurasia and South Asia at the Center for International Private Enterprise, an economic and political development nonprofit. Meanwhile my wonderful son turned 8 in November, and now my 10-year grad school reunion is looming in April 2014 (with our Wes 20-year not too far in the future)!”

Kimberly Sicard got married in Las Vegas on Oct. 13, 2013: “My fellow ’95ers Joanna Unze Braden and Alexis Williams Coatney attended the wedding.”

Lara Tupper writes: “I’m enjoying my new adventures in freelance land (writing, singing and teaching) and about to begin a post-graduate semester in the MFA Program for Writers at Warren Wilson College. (Time to take my next book to task.) I was pleased to reunite with Chelsea Farley and Laura Pinsof and families in Hudson, N.Y., for late summer ice cream and talk.”

Rob Armstrong gives “The Big News from the Armstrong family”—they are moving to London in 2014, where Rob will be running the Financial Times’ “Lex” column. “We will be living in Balham, south of the river,” he says, adding, “Would love to see any Wes types who are passing through.”

DWAYNE BUSBY
dwaynedbusby@yahoo.com