Class of 1969 | 2014 | Issue 1

Mike Terry retired from investment banking and is active in tobacco and smoking control. “Smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths in the US. Big Tobacco spends $10 billion a year on promotion.” His father, Surgeon General Luther Terry, issued the legendary report about tobacco dangers in 1964.

Harry Nothacker’s wife teaches English to immigrants. Son Keith developed and sells a breathalyzer that interfaces with an iPhone. Son Brian is a web architect at Vanguard. “I continue to enjoy Ironman training and competition—inspired by Jeff Galloway ’67, Amby Burfoot ’68, Bill Rodgers ’70, and Silas Wild.”

Now retired, Phil Wallas is “interested to see what identity I have outside work.”

Tony Mohr, vice chair of the ethics committee of the California Judges Association, says: “I preside over civil trials: personal injury, eviction, malpractice, and asbestos. I married Beverly Page last May and had an essay published in The MacGiffin.”

Jim Adkins attended his 40th med school reunion in DC. “Saw family and friends. To Manchester, N.H., to see son. Drove up Mt. Washington, spectacular foliage. Continue to work part-time, play trombone, and wonder where the time went.”

Jeff Richards produced an acclaimed revival of Glass Menagerie. “Upcoming, a musical, Bridges of Madison County, and an LBJ/Civil Rights play that vividly re-creates a time we are all familiar with.”

Doug Bell founded and operates Grasslands, a major farm and land appreciation investment in Uruguay. “The best priorities are family, friends, and keeping our health.”

Jim Martello wrote, “Gail, daughter Jennifer, and I are fortunate, well, and live in Vernon, Conn. I taught/coached 33 years and now operate a paint/wallpaper business. We own a place near Sarasota, where our son and his family live. Remember, 66 is the new 46.”

Howie Brown, fully retired, visited India and Hawaii recently. “The arts scene in DC is such that one could go to two performances daily forever—reminds me of London’s music scene in the ’70s.”

David Siegel is chief of medicine for VA Northern California Health Care System and professor of internal medicine at UC, Davis. “Last son at Albert Einstein in NYC. No retirement plans.”

Tom Goodman: “I’ve been in Philly for 35 years. One daughter, Mara. I taught photography at UT San Antonio and Philadelphia College of Art. Check out tomgoodman.com.”

Mike Fink said, “Daughter Jennie graduates in December and Katie in 2018. We see the light at the end of the tunnel. Still love my work as a real estate developer, so no retirement plans.”

Peter Cunningham is an independent photographer in the publishing field. “I’m re-issuing some old rock and roll photos and creating a book, One Word Poems, which matches photos of words with images that echo their meaning.”

Tom Earle’s married daughter Inga lives in Bangalore. “Her first child made me a first-time granddad. Tempus fugit.

From Larry Feldman: “I’m reasonably healthy, kids doing well, working full time. I was honored by a group who deal with hazardous waste sites, a field I’ve worked in for three decades.”

Darius Brubeck’s granddaughter Lydia Elmer ’17 and Nathaniel Elmer ’14 continue the Wesleyan tradition. “I’m touring the UK and South Africa.”

Steve and Dave ’72 Knox’s family reunion in Seattle included both their daughters named Caroline. On Steve’s side, the children are involved with medicine. “Saw Sam Davidson’s [’68] famous art gallery in the heart of downtown.”

Eric Greene wrote, “Jeanne and I live in Greenfield, Mass. We love our online mineral business and have no plans to retire. I have fond memory of Joe Peoples’ Geology 101.”

John Mihalec saw Steve Darnell and David Burke at a Wes/Williams soccer game before watching Wes beat Bates in football 35–7.

John Wilson is back in Ann Arbor after Coda, an electric carmaker, went into Chapter 11.

John Crigler wished “the government would take more time off, so I could catch up. Work involves public radio, TV stations, and their Web-based spinoffs. My psychologist wife jokes that only one of us is in the caring profession.”

Charles Elbot reconnected with Al Wallace ’70 and Barb Watson ’70. “Eclectic holds many fond memories. I’m now an executive leadership coach for Denver Public Schools, have two sons nearby, and travel with my wife, Barbara.”

Charlie Morgan had dinner with Rick Cram, a fellow Gamma Psi, who also lives in Bonita Springs. “Any other Wes grads in the Fort Myers/Naples corridor? I research family history, do some consulting, and play tennis.”

From Paul Melrose: “Son Ian and wife Cindy have Maddy and Jersey. Wife Sue will retire from the ministry around Reunion. I do executive and clergy coaching. See Marge and Barry Checkoway and heard that Lanny Schiller survived Boulder flooding but house damaged.”

Dave Dixon helped develop a post-Katrina master plan for New Orleans that celebrates the city’s relationship with water and uses water-management strategies to solidify neighborhoods. Dave, who works for Goody Clancy, spoke at NYIT in New York City and was billed as “a leading thinker, doer, and visionary.”

Rameshwar Das wrote, “Two events came down the pike this past summer, one life-affirming, the other life-shattering. On June 15th our 14-year-old daughter, Anna Mirabel Lytton, was run over on her bike and killed in our hometown of East Hampton, Long Island, N.Y. On August 1st, my second book with Ram Dass, Polishing the Mirror, was published. Enjoy every moment.” Please look at ’83’s notes for a remembrance by Anna’s mother, Kate Rabinowitz ’83.

We need to add David Sullivan, Bill Lewis, Margorie Daltry Rosenbaum, and Anna to Ed’s list.

Think Reunion.

CHARLIE FARROW
1 Cold Spring Rd., East Haddam, CT 06423
charlesfarrow@comcast.net